Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PDF Viewer alternative to Adobe Reader

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: PDF Viewer alternative to Adobe Reader Reply with quote

I was recently looking for PDF conversion software (to convert a PDF to word). I have yet to find a really good free one.

Anyway I got sidetracked by a a FREE Viewer that makes Adobe Reader (AR) looks like it came out of the ark.

There are a huge number of options that are available in this but not available to AR. (I don't pretend to be an Adobe expert but if just some of these options are there they are well hidden).

Let me just give you one reason why I am converted to this other reader just from a "stamping!" perspective.

When I open the Deegam file I am doing so to study perhaps one or two stamp values. Using AR I have two clicks every time I want to open a value say 1p. If I want then to open the 2p page - i have to go to the end of the 1p ... click and then another two clicks to go to the 2p etc ... and of course at this stage the 1p page is now closed. If I want to compare a stamp in the 1p with ne in the 2p - I have to go close the 2p and re-open the 1p OR I open two instances of AR and the Deegam file.

The latter being what I have done until I found this piece of software.

Basically this software has TABS (think of how Firefox or IE9 work and you will know what I mean).

So now I open HB-START ..... choose my 1p value - which opens in a separate tab - go back to the original tab open the 2p and both tabs are open. Lots of time saving for this particular requirement. If I then want to go to one of the Appendices ... I can go to the original tab which is still open showing all the bookmarks and open yet another tab so I can read the description of say PAPER TYPES and then switch back to any of the other tabs.

There are too many options to describe here but just let me tell you about two more - that I have found useful to date (only started using it today and I am hooked).

You can increase size (zoom) any PART OF a page instead of the whole and it shows in a separate box next to the original page.

Lastly are you one of these people who just can't read Help files (manuals)?
Well this software has its own forum and within that it contains short YOUTUBE videos on ... "How do I .... etc .." which are amazing.

The image below demonstrates what I am trying to say above. Note I have 5 tabs open but only had to open HB-START once.
The highlighted "LOUPE" on the tool bar is what is used to zoom part of a page.
You could think of this as the IRFANVIEW of PDF Viewers and like irfanview it is free.

So what is this software?

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

One word of warning.
When installing ... don't just click through (which of course you NEVER do anyway) .. read each page before clicking on "NEXT" otherwise you will end up with that awful ASK Toolbar on your machine which is a REAL PAIN to purge. Just UNTICK the option.

Once installed it will have ASK as your default search engine .. you can remove this and any others via the Preferences tab.

If you want to install this but are confused in any way ... give me a shout and I will help you through it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Life In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: