Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a stranger in a strange land

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Burch
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: a stranger in a strange land Reply with quote

Disappointing trip a little way up the coast last weekend to a stamp show. First one that I have been to in Florida for a couple of years since I stopped being able easily to get to Florex in Orlando in the late fall. Anyway, the disappointment was because I am so limited in my collecting interests, and the only dealer there who advertised "Great Britain" informed me that machins, particularly used machins, weren't worth his while to carry. Exit Burch, feeling like a poor relation.

I am sure that the scarcity of shows (bourses) at this end of the state is part of the general loss of "stamp shops" on which several people have remarked. I do miss being able to go in and sit looking through GB filing drawers - finding something in that situation was a lot more satisfying than winning a bid on an electronic market.

Ah, the good old days.

Derek
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the problem with a dealer carrying Machins also relates to the depth of knowledge needed and the sometimes dearth of such that supposed experts possess.
I seem to remember in the past that dealers had a vast store of knowledge about their products. In recent times I have run into many at shows who are perfectly happy to just carrying mint new issues that they can order in bulk from the postal agencies and display easily without getting involved in the background of the issue's history or the more interesting aspects of the hobby.
Perhaps that is a byproduct of modern mass production (Accent on "Mass".) and the need to generate an immediate profit. But many times I have watched the guy behind the sales table be unable to provide helpful information to a customer who asks what I consider to be fairly easy questions about some of the stamps being presented for sale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Life In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: