Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Florida Burglary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Florida Burglary Reply with quote

One of my work colleagues sent me a copy of the following - maybe one of our Florida members has more information.

Quote:
BURGLARY IN FLORIDA. ( You just can't make this stuff up ).
When southern Florida resident Nathan Radlich's house was burgled recently, thieves ignored his wide screen plasma TV, his VCR, and even left his Rolex watch.
What they did take, however, was a generic white cardboard box filled with a grayish-white powder. (That's the way the police report described it.)
A spokesman for the Fort Lauderdale police said that it looked similar to high grade cocaine and they'd probably thought they'd hit the big time.
Later, Nathan stood in front of numerous TV cameras and pleaded with the burglars: Please return the cremated remains of my sister, Gertrude. She died three years ago. The next morning, the bullet-riddled corpse of a local drug dealer known as Hoochie Pevens was found on Nathan's doorstep.
The cardboard box was there too; about half of Gertrude's ashes remained. Scotch taped to the box was this note which said: Hoochie sold us the bogus blow, so we wasted Hoochie. Sorry we snorted your sister, no hard feelings, have a nice day.

cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, you've been punked.
This story has been passed around for years. I love it, especially the part about how unlikely it would be for anyone familiar with Cocaine to confuse the greyish gravelly grains with a fine white powder.
Haha !!!
They have obviously never met my ex-son-in-law the cocaine addict. (Accent on ex- )

Quote:
"One reason so many urban legends exist is that folks can't resist the temptation to try to make a good story better by embellishing the facts.

Nathan Radlich is a real person. In May 1993, his house in Boynton Beach, Florida was burgled, and the thieves really did make off with the cremains of Radlich's sister, Gertrude, leaving his TV, VCR, and watch untouched. Police did, in fact, speculate that the burglars mistook the ashes, which Radlich kept in a cardboard box in his fishing tackle box, for crack cocaine. The rest is fiction.
As reported at the time in the Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel, Radlich never actually found out what happened to Gertrude's cremains. There was no bullet-riddled corpse left on his doorstep, no handwritten apology for "snorting" his sister. "The remains were probably strewn on the street when they found out it wasn`t drugs," Radlich was quoted as saying which is way less exciting than the ginned-up version of events, but at least it has the virtue of being true.

--------------------- The Accidental Cannibals ---------------------------

The theme of inadvertently inhaling or ingesting human cremains links this tale to another urban legend called "The Accidental Cannibals," which was featured in Jan Harold Brunvand's 1993 collection, The Baby Train & Other Lusty Urban Legends. The premise is equally simple and straightforward: someone mistakes cremains for a food ingredient e.g., flour, cake mix, deydrated soup, spices, or cocoa powder and either eats them or mixes them into a dish that is eaten by someone else.

Brunvand quotes a real-life mortician who pooh-poohs the idea, objecting that cremains "are so similar to coarse sand or finely ground seashells that I believe no one could mistake them for soup or baking ingredients. "

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_burglars_snort_cremains.htm
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

----- An Update -----
Welly, welly, welly, it seems that there really are some people who can challenge a bag of pebbles to a brain power contest and lose.
It seems that these three geniuses;
Waldo Soroa, 19, Matrix Andaluz, 18, and Jose David Diaz Marrero, 19, two of whom are still residents at the Graybar Hotel in Marion County, just north of here, after being arrested for multiple burgleries, one of which involved stealing a bag of dog and human ashes,
apparently sniffed the grains, thinking the ashes were some form of illegal pharmaceuticals.

While similar to the Urban Legend mentioned before, this was actually reported locally and their names are listed on the Marion County Inmate report.

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2011/january/197231/Marion-County-teens-accused-of-snorting-human,-dog-ashes

[/b]
Derek Burch
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You beat me to reporting it - I saw the article, too, and had to smile at life copying art. Derek
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it in 99.99% of cases when you look at pictures of prisoners .. you can always say "yep they look so obviously like criminals" .... these three are no different for sure.

We have recently had 3 or 4 women and a man jailed for an internet paedophilia ring and it was obvious from the pictures on the TV screen they were guilty.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's purely subjective, Dave.
For instance here is a photo of a fine young man who you would never think would be on the road to Trouble City..

He looks so pure and innocent you could probably ask him to help pass the collection baskets around on Sunday morning. And ask him home to dinner so he could meet your young daughter and probably lend him a $20 and your car so they could go for a drive in the evening.
How could you ever imagine that he had something less than honorable on his mind?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Life In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: