Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's an accumulator to do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Burch
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: What's an accumulator to do? Reply with quote

I have been accumulating in spurts for a lot of years (although not as extensively as my younger almost-neighbor Charlie - I am 77 racing towards the next milestone, to his about 70 if I have read one or two of his posts correctly). Only the GB part of my accumulating spirit is active, but I keep wondering why some areas of my stock books and stacks of glassines look like a respectable dealer's stock - not a top class dealer, but one who could tackle the local stamp club shows (if anyone other than the aforementioned Charlie and me collected GB in Florida).

What outlets does anyone suggest for a modest sell-off? I don't mind buying from ebay, but I am not sure that I want to add to their profits by selling through them. And I am not really in a hurry, just an occasional itch to see other people enjoying some of things. Any suggestions?

Derek
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reached 71 on November 22, ( Kennedy Assassination Day) a nice fall day just before Thanksgiving that I spent in the VA hospital in West Palm Beach. Bronchitis that was getting worse and what they thought was another cardiac incident that occured while being signed in for treatment at their Emergency Room got me speedily admitted. At lunch there was a small chocolate cupcake ( A big plus for someone with my build who gets fed dietetic meals that would starve a bird.) in cellophane labeled "Happy Birthday". A nice gesture and much appreciated.
But all's well that ends well as the bard once mentioned.
I have the same feeling about eBay and abhor their continual push to force people to use Paypal.
Stamporama is another decent forum of reasonably friendly collectors (Unlike another well publicized group who claim to be friendly but is run by a pompous opinionated dealer.) and they have an auction on-line. I have never used it but I recall several contacts mentioning that it was well run.
I guess we all have sorted duplicates with an eye toward making the rounds of shows and local Bourses to generate some extra cash. But I can seldom even bring myself to trade stamps, 1 for 1, despite multiple duplication.
I think that for oldtime world wide collectors sorting and arranging duplicates is one of the biggest attractions of stamping. Who cares if I never sell any. They can fill my coffin with loose stamps before they slide the whole mess into the fire at the crematory.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a section in this forum that you could try Derek "Machins to Buy, Sell or Exchange " although to be honest it is one of the less successful areas.

It really depends upon the way you want to sell. I, like Charlie have never really got into "trading". I started up this site to sell off my duplicates originally .. it has grown a bit since then and I have taken on other peoples sales in the past but never that successfully I have to admit (except for albums and databases which sell well).

Happy to give it a go for you if you want (even if only as a secondary channel) - but don't count on immediate success. If you want to pursue this option - email me off board and I will tell you how it works.

There are a couple of auction house that are really US based although they like to think of themselves as global - they aren't really - but do seem to sell a fair bit of GB stuff sourced by US based sellers.

"Bidstart" and Stampheads" (or something like that) come to mind.
Derek Burch
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two good sets of suggestions, which I will take up one of these days, although sorting and looking and sorting and looking again does fill most of my stamp need. A bunch of duplicates really is a great thing to have around. I suppose I am a lost cause (in more respects than this).

Derek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Life In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: