Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spilled Water = Dead Laptop. Any advice?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenjaminJohnson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Spilled Water = Dead Laptop. Any advice? Reply with quote

Hi,

So I was working on the laptop, whn a big glass of water spilled right next to it. A bit of water splashed on the keys, but most of it went right under the laptop (and into the air vent-- eek!!) The laptop didn't freak out, but I shut it down right away to try to avoid as much damage as possible, and once it shut down, I disconnected the AC adapter. I let it dry out overnight, then tried to power it back on this morning... no dice. I can't get ANYTHING out of it, no power light turns on, no power goes anywhere, nothing. I fear I've shot either the mobo (worst case) or the AC adapter (best case). This laptop (An HP dv2000) has a little blue ring that lights up around the AC cord when it is plugged in. When I plug in the AC adapter, I get the little blue ring lit up, but the 'charging' light near the touchpad stays dark. The AC adapter itself has no lights to tell me if it is happy or not. I have tried removing and replacing the battery, and reseating the RAM, to no avail. I don't dare dive deeper into the machinery for fear of screwing something else up. Is there any hope for bringing this back from the dead? All advice is much appreciated!

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=153659
Animated video studio

Thanks!
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I think you have the wrong forum for this type of problem.

Most, not all, stamp collectors are technophobes to a larger or smaller extent.

I was even in the computer industry myself for 35+ years (on the project side) and still would have no idea how to solve your issue except to contact my local PC repair man.
I am happy to attempt to fix a software issue, but hardware - no chance.
Seedy Jay
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take both units to a shop and at least find out if the is power from the adaptrer.

Most likely the laptop is due to be used as a boat anchor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Life In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: