Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stampboards - Be Careful As Admin Edits Posts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Stampboards - Be Careful As Admin Edits Posts Reply with quote

It seems I have upset the "obnoxious" Admin from the infamous Stampboards site.

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=58902&p=4052502#p4052502

Having asked a relatively simple (and polite) question about an Aussie stamp issue which the Admin obviously couldn't answer but also couldn't stay out of the loop and became his normal arrogant self proclaiming everyone except him was stupid (as usual), he then finally after realising he was on the losing end has not only edited my last contribution BUT has very eloquently banned me for a week.

What will I do for the next week?.... Glory be .. What a Sad man.

You have been banned from this board until Sun Nov 16, 2014 23:02:57 pm.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

Reason given for ban: Week ban for posting smart * comments twice in a few hours

A ban has been issued on your username.

Note .. the asterisk is mine as use of abusive language is automatically blocked on this forum.

More Importantly.
I raise this only to say maybe you shouldn't believe everything you see on Stampboards as, if he will edit my posts, he (or his moderators) almost certainly edit others that do not agree with his politics.

What I find most amazing is that as he had nothing to contribute to the original post - why did he even get involved? A power obsessive I guess.

PS For those interested my last post on this topic before editing stated that the guy who mailed me the items wanted to stay anonymous he does not want anything to do with this board except browse. I think I will do the same from now on.
stevevp
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sympathise. A once useful forum has been ruined by this power-crazed fool. I have also been the victim of his online abuse and selective editing, having posted (what was to me) a perfectly reasonable, albeit basic question which, had I known the answer or had been able to find it elsewhere, I wouldn't have posted. I don't visit very often now (and certainly don't post anymore) but it does seem that the number of posts and the number of members actually posting seems to be on the decline.

I also note that a number of blogs intended to "name and shame" said Admin for his alleged dubious selling practices and eg listing his Ebay aliases have been closed down I guess as a result of threatened legal action. Fortunately, some of the content lingers on the interweb courtesy of sites like the web archive eg:
http://web.archive.org/web/20130409001350/http://eclecticquill.com/2007/12/02/meditations-on-glen-stephens/

All in all, a sad state of affairs. Sad
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of that is so good ... although I agree with the remarks about his online character, I didn't realise he was such a shady dealer as well... love his losing battle with Juzwin .... now that is probably as close as you get to fraud without it being illegal.

I just don't understand why he is like he is especially with "newbies" to the hobby .. these people should be encouraged not treated with disdain.

An image I have in mind is that of the the school-yard bully.

Like you I definitely won't be posting any more - I don't visit that often anyway and as he alters and deletes posts I would never know how he is making me look to other members.
tangles2010
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I've bought stamps from a number of dealers down under over the years, I've never bought from that individual, so don't really know much about his character. I think I am put off by any ad that uses lots of capital letters and exclamation marks and tells me to hurry or miss out forever...it's a bit too much like a Nigerian letter!

One thing that strikes me though is that we might view Stamp Boards as a sort of Yahoo Group for philatelists - but if he set the site up, he might view it as more a forum for advertising his stuff rather than a forum for independent discussion! That could explain some of the attitude though not of course the long-standing behavioural issues (and other dealers or collectors were talking about those with me as far back as 1990, so they are long-standing).
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise it went back as far as 1990 ... so he can't use my excuse of just being a grumpy old man then .. as I assume he was only in his 30s or so a that time. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
phos45
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: cyberbullying ... Reply with quote

whatever is posted is edited , shredded or locked ... asking you speak english , and not text speak ?? calling you an idiot, clown ... slanderous!

cyberbullying, in aussie-outback-lingo of dingos ... no edit or delete as here ... I also experienced similar hazing on delphiforums ... both are dealers ...

Last edited by phos45 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:18 am; edited 3 times in total
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
I could have told you all that years ago.
I got annoyed that he or his site gestapo associates insisted that my posts needed a space between paragraphs.
I pointed out that the space was not needed and seldom used in just about every newspaper or magazine with a literate editor.

I stopped trying and joined Stamporama (Cheap plug) where all things stamps are discussed and with one exception all posters are friendly and helpful.
I still get his news e-mail which I enjoy deleting ever month or so, unread.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: An interesting update Reply with quote

I am stepping down from anything to do with stamps for the next few weeks, and was deleting a few old links that I had not used for a while and I came across the old Stampboards URL, so I just pressed it and I got the following:

I thought this hilarious as I only tried the URL to see if it was still active before deleting it.

It is absolutely typical of the guy who runs it though, he is possibly the most petty, thin skinned individual I have (never) met. A bully is usually defined by this type of behaviour - loves dishing it out but cannot take criticism himself.

Still he is no loss to anyone and it is actions like this that earn the clown the name he has in philatelic circles.

PS... He is not banned from this forum, cause we don't work that way. but I doubt he would have anything interesting to impart anyway.

Well that is it from me for a while - I aim to be back on-line by 1st October 2016.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Life In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: