Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another dismal end to the season.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Another dismal end to the season. Reply with quote

As an Arsenal supporter I should be used to this but yet again a season of promise at the beginning - still in the hunt for all 4 trophies in mid-february - has tailed off into nothing AGAIN.

How do I keep up my good spirits???

Well the new season starts in only 3 months. Finishing 4th means we will start even earlier than normal!

JEEZ - why didn't I become a Manure supporter when I moved north - no-one would have known.
tangles2010
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd become a Manure supporter, your heart wouldn't be in it. Just remember those long days of suffering when we were gooner kids in the 1970s and 1980s...we're going through one of those periods again! Of course, the problem is that the team is good enough to get close, but not close enough.

That's why we collect stamps. We can always achieve a certain goal by ourselves, depending of course on not setting our sights too high (I gave up the thought of collecting mint Queen Victoria-KGV a long time ago!).
Alex
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Yes, Arsenal are a strange team and Arsene seems to want them to almost walk the ball into the net for every goal. If Arsenal had a certain russian owner, Wenger would have been 'sacked' on a yearly basis...........

Anyway.......Walter the Gaffer won us '3-in-a-row' at Ibrox and now leaves Coisty with the job of challenging the push from Lennon and Celtic....an interesting season in the SPL ahead, but, as always, the only question will be who finishes 3rd........

Alex (blue-nose).
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Gooner kid in the 60's when it was even worse and some years we were more concerned about relegation than the title so the last twenty years have been somewhat of an improvement but now the expectation is higher and I have sons who support teams at the top or on the rise which makes life even more intolerable.

My big fear is finishing lower than fourth which could easily happen next year if we don't improve with both Spurs and Liverpool coming into the equation. The thought of the spuds finishing above us is not worth contemplating.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
an interesting season in the SPL ahead, but, as always, the only question will be who finishes 3rd........
Alex (blue-nose).

The SPL - now there is a misnomer. I have supported Hibs almost as long as Arsenal .... why ... well they sold us Joe Baker (if only we had a modern version of him now) and later Peter "the hair" Marinello.

Oh and they had the same type of kit except green where we had red (I was only a kid at the time don't forget).

Hibs have had their worst season for years certainly putting Arsenal's woes into perspective.
Alex
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is clear there are similarities here between the SPL and the PL. The same teams are always certain to finish in the top 2 (SPL) or top 4 (PL)....don't you think......if you think you may finish 4th it looks like you are resigned/happy to do so.

Joe and Peter.......wow........all our yesterdays.....

Before the influx of foreign managers and foreign players, Scotland was plundered annually for its best players; Dalgleish, Hanson, Jordan, McQueen etc etc. This was ok as scottish clubs were able to bring younger talent through, and, it meant the core of the Scotland Team was as good as it could be.........

Alex
Alex
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

And a really bad start to the new season............is this Arsenals' biggest defeat ever in the league............

8-2 at Man Utd !
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is ridiculous - even with the players we had missing. If this doesn't convince him to put in a reasonable bid for some defenders before Wednesday evening - it is relegation we will be looking at avoiding - not finishing 4th.

It's not like we don't have the money - it's just stubbornness, arrogance, call it what you will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Life In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: