Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A non Political question about politics.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: A non Political question about politics. Reply with quote

At times one of our more public spirited cable channels runs all or part of a session of parliament. Recently they carried several hours of the discussion of the Rupert Murdock situation.
My wife and I watched it just about end to end, even using the TiVo thingy when some comment went too fast for transliteration.
One thing I noticed was that after the PM spoke the Speaker of the House would announce the name of the next questioner and as soon as he began to say "The right Honorable Gentleman from .... " everyone would rise, seemingly on both sides of the aisle and then sit right down again.
If he is working from a list, wouldn't the next person know pretty much when it would be his or her turn ? And wouldn't those who had not requested to be recognized know that it wasn't anywhere near their turn?
It just seemed like a lot of popping up and down, something that I have become more aware of as my knees have aged.
So the question is, "Is there as practical reason for the standing and sitting or is it just a tradition dating back into the foggy past when someone was called and, not rising fast enough, got passed over?"
Alex
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

The ones jumping up and down are not on the list but want to catch the Speakers' eye with a supplementary question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_minister's_questions

MPs wishing to ask a question must enter their names on the Order Paper. The names of entrants are then shuffled in a ballot to produce a random order in which they will be called by the Speaker of the House of Commons. The Speaker will then call on MPs to put their questions, usually in an alternating fashion: one MP from the government benches is followed by one from the opposition benches. MPs who are not selected may be chosen to ask a supplementary question if they "catch the eye" of the Speaker, which is done by standing and sitting immediately before the Prime Minister gives an answer.

Alex.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating.
I knew there had to be some, probably long standing tradition involved. I understood the obviously alternating order and figured there must be some kind of general sign-up sheet.
I would love to see some of our so-called politicians have to stand and respond to pointed queries in rapid fashion.
I know some could, but it would sure separate the Flat Earth ignoramuses (Ignorami ?) from the people who are competent.
It is mid-night here and now the question is, should I wake my wife and explain it to her or wait for the morning.
Hahaha
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched much of this myself Charlie - I had actually tuned in for the half hour weekly Prime Minister's questions and instead got this programme.

It was interesting enough for the first hour then I got fed up of hearing the same questions over and over.

If I was the PM i would have borrowed a phrase that seems to appear in US courts quite often (on TV at least) ...

.... .... ... Asked and Answered

instead of just giving the same answer all over again.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I noticed the repetition but ascribed it to the depth of anger over the situation.
When ever any person, country or corporation accumulates anything that approximates a monopoly, abuses tend to follow.
I suspect that if an in-depth investigation is performed more tainted activities will surface, some technically legal and possibly some illegal.
Alex
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they used to say, "I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer" !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Life In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: